Call for Applicants
We offer a 3-year PhD position in Linguistics at the University of Lille, France (Research Lab STL: Savoirs, Textes, Langage) on the topic of metaphor and neologisms. This position is funded by the French Research institution ANR (Agence Nationale de la Recherche) within the framework of a research project entitled “Words Fail Me”: Naming the Unnamable (project acronym: PERINAT). PERINAT (https://stl.univ-lille.fr/recherche/contrats-et-projets-de-recherche/en-cours/anr-perinat) is a collaborative project involving three Universities (Birmingham, Lille, Naples) and it focuses on the discourse surrounding perinatal loss. Through the lens of cognitive linguistics and discourse analysis, the PERINAT research team will be observing the metaphors and neologisms used in the narrative of bereaved parents. The project is based on interviews with parents in France and Dutch-speaking Belgium. The PhD candidate will be responsible for the corpus of interviews in Dutch.
- A PhD position for 3 years starting September 2023.
- A salary and budget to attend conferences and publish papers in open access.
- Opportunities for personal development beyond research including the possibility to contribute to teaching.
- Perform fundamental research in linguistics, build a corpus of transcribed interviews in Dutch-speaking Belgium (in real life or online) and publish contributions in highly-ranked venues.
- Collaborate with the international partners involved in the PERINAT project.
- Carry out some (light) teaching duties if interested, which may include lectures and the organization of student seminars.
- You have (or are near completion of) a Master’s degree in Linguistics, preferably with some knowledge of metaphor theory and basic kills in IT-applications for linguistic analyses (corpus-analysis, statistics, discourse processing).
- You have good knowledge of Dutch (main focus of the PhD project), an excellent knowledge of English, both spoken and written and working knowledge of French.
- You are good at collaborating with others.
- You work proactively and independently and have good communication skills.
- You are highly motivated, ambitious and result-oriented.
- Presentations in peer-reviewed conferences and/or publications in journals in the fields of linguistics.
- Some knowledge in the field of perinatal death in Dutch-speaking Belgium.
Applications should be written in English and include a brief cover letter with research interests and vision, a CV (including work experience and publications), and contact information for at least 2 referees. Candidates will be invited for an interview in Lille.
Please send your application by March 31st to: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
- Giuditta Caliendo (firstname.lastname@example.org);
- Maarten Lemmens (email@example.com).