Åbo Akademi University wishes to appoint a university lecturer in English Language (universitetslektor), including linguistics, starting from September 1, 2022, or as agreed.
Description of the position
The university lecturer will have a wide ranging responsibility for teaching, including courses in sociolinguistics, English linguistics, and applied linguistics, as well as in the social and historical context of English-speaking countries. Teaching tasks will also include courses in spoken and written skills. Additionally, the lecturer supervises and examines Bachelor’s and Master’s theses on language-related topics. Depending on the competences of the candidate, teaching duties may also include participation in courses that are provided jointly for all students in the faculty.
The university lecturer will be expected to participate in a variety of administrative tasks, such as coordination of the students’ language practice and exchange programmes with overseas universities.
A university lecturer may be given the opportunity to conduct research for a maximum of one third of the contract hours. The university lecturer will participate in departmental research seminars and contribute to the research activities of the subject.
The university lecturer has a total working time of 1,612 hours per year, and the work tasks will be defined in detail in an annual work plan. A trial period applies to all new employees.
Qualification requirements and evaluation
In accordance with the University Board’s decree, a university lecturer is required to have a doctorate in the subject they are teaching or in a closely related discipline, as well as pedagogical competence.
The application should be submitted electronically in the University recruitment system (www.abo.fi/rekrytering) no later than 23 May 2022 at 3 PM (Finnish time) with the following enclosures:
- An application letter including an account of the key experience and skills relevant for the task (max. 2 pages)
- CV, according to the model of the Finnish National Board on Research Integrity, TENK: https://tenk.fi/sites/default/files/2021-06/TENK_CV_template_2020.pdf
- A full list of publications, with the three most important publications supporting the applicant’s research competence marked; please include links to these three publications or upload them in the recruitment system
- A teaching portfolio https://web.abo.fi/befattningar/Pedagogical_portfolio2021.pdf
- A copy of the diploma of a doctoral degree relevant to the position,
- A copy of other diplomas and certificates (for example, for language proficiency or pedagogical studies),
- Research plan (max 3 pages),
- Contact information for two referees.
The full announcement is posted at https://abo.rekrytointi.com/paikat/index.php?jid=544&key=&o=A_RJ&rspvt=p0bmodttrascsggcscck0wkcwg4gosg