Imaginings and Visions of America.
Yaşar University, Izmir (Turkey), 23-25 October 2024.
Submission deadline: 31 December 2023.
American Studies Association of Turkey (ASAT)
42nd International American Studies Conference
Department of English Language and Literature
October 23-25, 2024
The devastating earthquake that hit the southeastern cities of Turkey and affected tens of thousands of people brought us together, not only in sharing the trauma but also in the hope of re-constructing new lives, re-evaluating priorities, and re-imagining a new, less destructive future. In an era of such unprecedented challenges, it has become increasingly evident that the arts and humanities have a pivotal role in cultivating hope and resilience through creative solutions and in creating epistemic, ethical, and political strategies to form solidarity. With this aspiration, the theme of the 42nd ASAT conference, ‘Re-’ was formulated. As the prefix ‘Re-’ suggests, we hope to create a platform for vibrant discussion promoting resilience, renewal, rebirth and reconstruction.
‘Re-’ not only encapsulates new beginnings, but also retrospection and revision, forms of labor which require us to revisit and rework critical and cultural formations of the past in order to envision a new future. Bearing in mind both the prospective and retrospective aspects of the “Re,” the American Studies Association of Turkey asks presenters to reflect on re-imaginings and re-visions of America and invites the submission of individual abstracts, panels, workshops and roundtable proposals with respect to the United States.
Possible topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Re-appropriation and reclamation of cultural heritage
- Re-booting: dystopian and utopian visions
- Recycling: ecocriticism and environmental debates
- Revitalization of natural and urban landscapes
- Re-thinking humanity: alternative futures and visions of posthumanism
- Recollection and remembrance of cultural and historical memory
- Reconciliation, reparation, and healing in history, politics and society
- Recontextualization and re-examination of cultural artifacts and traditions
- Redemption and renewal in culture and society
- Reflexivity and self-reflection in art and literature
- Revolution and current activist movements
- Regeneration and rebirth
- Reorientation and redirection of cultural and political agendas
- Resistance and rebellion
- Revisionism and memory, retrospective or nostalgic representations of the past
- Revisions, reenactments, rewritings, and adaptations
Proposals should be sent to the American Studies Association of Turkey (firstname.lastname@example.org) and should consist of a 250-word abstract, five keywords, and a 200-word biography for each participant. The time allowance for presentations is 20 minutes. An additional 10 minutes will be provided for discussion.
We expect all participants to attend the entire conference out of professional courtesy. Please keep this in mind while submitting an abstract.
Submission deadline: December 31, 2023Selected papers will be included in a special issue of the Journal of American Studies of Turkey (JAST) based on the conference theme. More information will be posted on our website as it becomes available:
(Posted 27 October 2023)