Sometimes it is difficult to obtain access to books necessary for research, especially for ESSE members on tight budgets. Therefore, ESSE will again award up to €2,000 to its members for the purchase of books in connection with specific research projects.
Grants will be of a maximum of €300 per applicant. However, applications will be kept to the minimum necessary and restricted only to books that fulfil the following criteria:
- Books that are not held by the applicant’s university libraries and cannot easily and quickly be obtained by interlibrary loan.
- Books that need to be available to the applicants over an extended period, longer than would be possible through a library loan.
- Books whose price would place a strain on the applicant’s available financial resources, for example, because of the high cost of the books concerned.
ESSE requests that successful applicants donate the books to their university libraries when their research projects have been completed, so that other scholars can benefit from them.
- Applicants for book grants must themselves be members of their national associations (according to the official membership list submitted by their association in November 2020 to ESSE).
- Grants are available for any research project, whether it is formally registered and recognised or simply normal individual academic research. However, it is not the intention to provide books for general academic purposes, e.g. as reference works to have on one’s bookshelf.
Applications should be sent to the chair of the selection committee. Please use the application appropriate form.
The application deadline is 1 May 2021. Applications are to be sent to the chair of the selection committee. They will be dealt with as quickly as possible.
Books included in the application must be bought at the personal expense of the applicant between the application deadline and 30 June 2021.
After purchasing the books, the winners will send the itemised receipts to the Treasurer of ESSE, email@example.com. The receipt(s) will include the name of the purchaser, the titles and the cost of the books (even if the purchases are electronic).
Grant money will be transferred to recipients’ accounts before 15 July 2021.
- Prof. Bernard De Clerck (Chair) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prof. Jacek Fabiszak
- Prof. Nóra Séllei