ESSE Book Awards 2022
For books first published in 2020 and 2021 (date on imprint page of published book)
- Category A is open for all books
- Category B is for the first book only
ESSE Book Awards Ceremony
Monday, August 29, 2022, 14.00, Mainz
ESSE-16 Conference opening 13.30
The shortlists below are in alphabetical order with the winners marked in bold. Details here
1. English language and linguistics
- Calle-Martín, Javier. 2020. John Arderon’s De judiciis urinarum: A Middle English Commentary on Giles of Corbeil’s Carmen de urinis in Glasgow University Library, MS Hunter 328 and Manchester University Library, MS Rylands Eng. 1310. Liverpool University Press.
- Perez-Llantada, Carmen. 2021. Research Genres across Languages. Cambridge University Press.
- Pilliere, Linda. 2021. Intralingual Translation of British Novels: A Multimodal Stylistic Perspective. Bloomsbury Academic.
- Bouso, Tamara. 2021. Changes in argument structure. The transitivizing Reaction Object Construction. Peter Lang.
- Fernández-Pena, Yolanda. 2020. Reconciling Synchrony, Diachrony and Usage in Verb Number Agreement with Complex Collective Subjects. Routledge.
- Gandón-Chapela, Evelyn. 2020. On Invisible Language in Modern English: A Corpus-based Approach to Ellipsis. Bloomsbury Academic.
2. Literatures in the English language
- Haschemi Yekani, Elahe. 2021. Familial Feeling. Entangled Tonalities in Early Black Atlantic Writing and the Rise of the British Novel. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Lynall, Gregory. 2020. Imagining Solar Energy. The Power of the Sun in Literature, Science and Culture. London: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Martínez García, Ana Belén. 2020. New Forms of Self Narration. Young Women, Life Writing and Human Rights. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Schwanebeck, Wieland. 2020. Literary Twinship from Shakespeare to the Age of Cloning. Routledge.
- Talairach, Laurence. 2021. Animals, Museum Culture and Children’s Literature in 19th century Britain. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Dinter, Sandra. 2020. Childhood in the Contemporary English Novel. Routledge.
- Gebauer, Carolin. Making Time: World Construction in the Present-Tense Novel. Berlin and Boston: Walter de Gruyter, 2021
- Gill, Josie. 2020. Biofictions: Race, Genetics and the Contemporary Novel. Bloomsbury Academic.
- John, Stefanie. 2021. Post-Romantic Aesthetics in Contemporary British and Irish Poetry. Routledge.
- Pelayo Sañudo, Eva. 2021. Spatialities in Italian American Women’s Literature: Beyond the Mean Streets. Routledge.
3. Cultural and area studies in English
- Borham-Puyal, Miriam. 2020. Contemporary Rewritings of Liminal Women. Echoes of the Past. Routledge.
- Katsarska, Milena. 2021. Parapositions: Prefacing American Literature in Bulgarian Translation 1948-1998. Plovdiv University Press.
- Bowers, Will. 2020. The Italian Idea: Anglo-Italian Radical Literary Culture, 1815–1823. Cambridge University Press.