In 2017, ESSE will offer funding of up to €19,000 to help cover costs associated with a research trip.
ESSE will again offer TWO types of travel bursaries:
- Type A: a number of bursaries of up to €1,500 each will be available for scholars in need of support to pursue a project or programme of research leading to the writing of their PhD dissertation.
- Type B: a number of bursaries of up to €1,500 each will be available for scholars already holding a doctorate or its equivalent.
Applications are invited from all member countries. Awards are made on the basis of academic merit. Priority will be given to scholars employed at Universities in Central and Eastern Europe who are in need of support to pursue a project or programme of research.
Only one application per person is allowed.
Bursaries may not be used to support research trips begun before the Bursary Committee has announced the outcome of the competition.
Applications for Type A and Type B Bursaries will not normally be entertained from candidates who have previously been successful in that competition.
In the case of both competitions A and B, winners are expected to make a short-term visit to a country where they identify an outstanding holding, collection, or other type of material relevant to their research. Conference participation is not supported by these bursaries; award winners may extend their visit at their own expense to attend a conference in the country concerned, but no part of the conference expenses will be covered by the bursary. Bursaries must be utilized and the study trips completed by the application deadline for next year’s bursaries, i.e. 1 March 2018.
After completing the research trip, winners will be asked to send a financial report to the Treasurer of ESSE and a report about their results to both the Treasurer and the Chair of the Selection Committee. This latter report may be published in ESSE Messenger.
Applicants for the first type of bursary are required to be members of their national associations affiliated to ESSE, except for those whose associations do not consider PhD students eligible as members; in this case, their supervisors or the department to which they are affiliated must be ESSE members. Applicants for the second type of bursaries must be registered members of their national associations affiliated to ESSE.
The deadline for applications for both types of Bursaries is 1 March 2017.
Notification to the applicants should be sent (electronically) by 15 April 2017. Applicants should send electronically to all three members of the Selection Committee:
- the completed application form (see below) with sections on personal information, a list of the applicant’s most important publications, a research plan, and a provisional budget proposal;
• a scanned or electronically generated letter issued by the president or the secretary of the appropriate national organization to certify the membership of the applicant (or his/her supervisor in Germany and the UK);
• for Type A bursaries, a letter of recommendation, sent directly via email to all three members of the Selection Committee by the supervisor of the PhD candidate.
Note: the names of the bursary winners and their projects will be published on the ESSE website.
- Prof. Ludmilla Kostova (Chair): email@example.com
- Prof. Lieven Buysse: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prof. Martina Domines Veliki: email@example.com
ESSE Bursaries, Type A and B, for 2017
Application deadline: 1 March 2017. Notification about decision: 15 April 2017. Bursaries to be utilized by: 1 March 2018.
I. PERSONAL SECTION
NAME OF APPLICANT:
TITLE OF RESEARCH PROJECT
BRIEF SUMMARY OF RESEARCH PROJECT (no more than 5 printed lines)
AFFILIATION AND POSITION
(for Type A indicate your PhD Program, for Type B your University and Department):
BEST EMAIL ADDRESS AND TELEPHONE NUMBER (the latter in case of emergency):
MA DEGREE (year and major/s):
PhD DEGREE (for Type B only; year, university and topic):
OTHER DEGREES (if applicable):
MOST IMPORTANT SCHOLARSHIPS:
II. PUBLICATIONS (The list below applies only to Type B applications. For the pre-doctoral Type A application simply list your publications if you have any, or disregard this section. Please provide translations into English of any titles and other details in languages other than English.)
A/ BOOKS AUTHORED BY APPLICANT
B/ BOOKS EDITED BY APPLICANT
C/ FIVE MOST IMPORTANT ARTICLES IN PEER-REVIEWED JOURNALS
D/ FIVE MOST IMPORTANT PAPERS IN COLLECTIONS OR CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS
III. THE RESEARCH PROJECT (Should be no longer than 2 printed pages!)
A/ RESEARCH QUESTION, GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE TOPIC
B/ THE PROJECTED RESEARCH ACTIVITIES DURING THE BURSARY PERIOD
C/ EXPECTED RESULTS
IV. BUDGET PROPOSAL. Please see the guidelines page. Please remember, that, while the €1,500 is the maximum award, smaller requests are welcome! Conference participation expenses are not eligible for coverage by ESSE bursaries.
A/ TRAVEL EXPENSES
C/ EVERYDAY EXPENSES (€25 per day)
D/ MISCELLANEOUS COSTS, including any BOOK PURCHASES (though please check the guidelines before applying for money to cover book purchases)
E/ TOTAL OF EXPENSES