Sometimes it is difficult to obtain access to books and other resources (for example, specialized online databases, corpora, library collection) necessary for research, especially for ESSE members on tight budgets. Therefore, ESSE will again award up to €3,000 to its members for the purchase of books and resources in connection with specific research projects.
Grants will be of a maximum of €300 per applicant for books and resources that meet the following criteria:
- Books and resources that are not held by the applicant’s university libraries and cannot easily and quickly be obtained by interlibrary loan.
- Books and resources that need to be available to the applicants over an extended period, longer than would be possible through a library loan.
- Books and resources whose price would place a strain on the applicant’s available financial resources, for example, because of the high cost of the books and resources concerned.
- Books and resources are relevant for the applicant’s research topic in the field of English studies.
ESSE kindly asks the successful applicants to donate the books and other resources (as far as possible and feasible) to their university libraries when their research projects have been completed, so that other scholars can benefit from them.
- Applicants for book and resource grants must themselves be members of their national associations (according to the official membership list submitted by their association in November 2021 to ESSE).
- Grants are available for any research project, whether it is formally registered and recognised or simply normal individual academic research. However, it is not the intention to provide books for general academic purposes, e.g. as reference works to have on one’s bookshelf.
The application deadline is 1 May 2022.
The applicants are required to fill in the form, available here
Books and resources included in the application must be bought at the personal expense of the applicant between the application deadline and 30 June 2022.
After purchasing the books and resources, the winners will send the itemised receipts to the Treasurer of ESSE, firstname.lastname@example.org. The receipt(s) will include the name of the purchaser, the titles and the cost of the books and resources (even if the purchases are electronic).
Grant money will be transferred to recipients’ accounts before 15 July 2022.
- Jacek Fabiszak (Chair) email@example.com
- Bernard De Clerck
- Işıl Baş
- Vladimir Ž. Jovanović