Published on 10th September 2017 in ESSE Matters
Recognising that it is difficult in some situations to obtain access to books necessary for research without purchasing them, and recognising also that some ESSE members have financial difficulties, ESSE awards some small grants to its members for the purchase of books in connection with specific research projects.
Grants will be of a maximum of 300 euro per applicant. However, applications will be kept to the minimum necessary and restricted only to books that fulfil the following criteria:
- Books that are not held by the applicant’s university libraries and cannot easily and quickly be obtained by interlibrary loan.
- Books that need to be available to the applicants over an extended period, longer than would be possible through a library loan.
- Books whose price would place a strain on the applicant’s available financial resources, for example, because of the high cost of the books concerned.
ESSE requests that successful applicants donate the books to their university libraries when their research projects have been completed, so that other scholars can benefit from the books.
- Grants will be made only to members of ESSE, or to PhD students whose supervisors are members of ESSE.
- Grants are available for any research project, whether it is formally registered and recognised or simply normal individual academic research. However, it is not the intention to provide books for general academic purposes, e.g. as reference works to have on one’s bookshelf.
The application deadline is 1 October 2017. Applications will be dealt with as quickly as possible.
Books included in the application must be bought at the personal expense of the applicant between the application deadline and 30 November 2017.
After purchasing the books, the winners will send the itemised receipts to the Treasurer of ESSE, Alberto Lázaro (firstname.lastname@example.org). The receipt(s) will include the name of the purchaser, the titles and the cost of the books (even if the purchases are electronic).
Grant money will be transferred to recipients’ accounts before 15 December 2017.
Applications should be sent to the Chair of the Bursaries Committee using the form available here.