University of Minho, Portugal
Opening of an International Selection Application Procedure for the HIring of one Doctorate under the Legal Regime of Scientific Employment
Deadline for applications: Friday 15 March 2018
Doctor Rui Manuel Costa Vieira de Castro, Professor and Rector of Universidade do Minho, in the use of his competencies, in accordance with the provisions of subsection d) of section 1 of article 92 of Law no. 62/2007, of 10 September and subsection d) of section1 of article 37 of the Statutes of the University of Minho, approved by Normative Order no. 13/2017, published in Diário da República, 2nd series, no. 183, of 21 September, makes it known that, for a period of fifteen business days from the business day immediately following the date on which this announcement is published, an international selection application is open for recruitment of one doctoral position, for a contract with uncertain finish date, settled under the Labour Code, for the exercise of scientific research activities in the academic area of Linguistics, financed by the Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia – FCT I.P. (National Foundation for Science and Technology) through national funds, under “Portugal 2020”, with a view to the development of research activities within the project ref. PTDC/LLT-LIN/29304/2017, “The Language of Cyberbullying: Forms and Mechanisms of Online Persecution and Discrimination in Annotated Comparable Corpora of Portuguese and English”.
1. Applicable Legislation: This application shall be ruled by the Decree No. 57/2016, of 29th of August, amended by Law No. 57/2017 of 19 July, which approved a regime of hiring of doctorates to stimulate scientific and technological employment in all areas of knowledge (RJEC), by Labour Code, approved Law no. 7/2009, of February 12, under its current version and other applicable laws and regulations.
2. Place of Work: The work activities will be carried out at ILCH, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal.
3. Monthly salary: The job remuneration corresponds to level 33 of TRU, 2.128,34 Euros, according to the Regulatory Decree No.11-A/2017, of December 29.
4. Eligibility Criteria: Any national, foreign and stateless applicants who hold a doctoral degree in Linguistics or other related scientific areas and hold a scientific and professional record suitable to the requirements indicated can submit their application.
4.1. General admission requirements are those defined in point 5. Specific requirements are:
a) Proficiency in the English language;
b) Competence in computer usage;
c) Familiarity with the usage of online social networks.
5. Application: The application is formalized through a petition letter addressed to the Rector of the University of Minho, under the terms defined in the attached template.
5.1. The application shall be accompanied by documents proving the conditions laid down in points 5 and 10:
a) Copy of certificate or degree diploma;
b) Detailed curriculum vitae structured according to the items in point 10;
c) Proof of professional experience (if applicable);
d) Motivation Letter;
e) Copy of the most relevant publications, if applicable;
f) Other relevant documents for the evaluation of the applicant’s qualifications;
g) Any other documents that the applicant considers relevant, namely for the assessment of the information referred to in section 2 of article 5 of the RJEC.
5.2. The candidates submit the application and supporting documents electronically, in PDF format mandatorily, to the email address email@example.com, with the subject “Application to FCT Scholarship”, by the deadline for submission of applications defined in this notice.
5.3. False statements provided by the candidates shall be punished by law.
6. Selection Panel: The selection panel, approved at the meeting of the Scientific Council of October 24, 2018, has the following composition, according to article 13 of the RJEC:
a) Chair: Isabel Ermida – Full Professor at the Institute of Arts and Humanities of the University of Minho.
b) Effective Member: Idalete Dias – Assistant Professor at the Institute of Arts and Humanities of the University of Minho.
c) Effective Member: Orlando Grossegesse – Associate Professor at the Institute of Arts and Humanities of the University of Minho.
d) Substitute Member: Maria do Pilar Barbosa – Associate Professor at the Institute of Arts and Humanities of the University of Minho.
e) Substitute Member: Sílvia Araújo – Assistant Professor at the Institute of Arts and Humanities of the University of Minho.
7. Panel selection proceedings: The selection panel shall decide by means of a nominal vote based on the evaluation criteria adopted and published. Abstentions shall not be allowed.
7.1. The selection panel meetings will be documented in written minutes, containing a summary of the proceedings, as well as the votes given by each of the members and their reasons, being afterwards provided to the applicants.
8. Admission and exclusion: Applicants who formalize their application incorrectly or who do not provide evidence for the admission requirements in points 5 and 5.1 will be excluded. The selection panel has the power to require applicants, in case of doubt, to present any documents proving their statements.
8.1. The exclusion decision shall be notified to the applicants by email for preliminary hearing of the interested parties.
8.2. After the deadline for the exercise of the right of hearing of the interested parties, the jury analyses the allegations offered and, if it maintains the exclusion decision, notifies the excluded applicants by email with delivery receipt, proceeding to the selection of the applicants admitted.
9. Evaluation method and parameters: The selection method is the Scientific and Academic Trajectory Assessment (SATA).
9.1. The evaluation of the Scientific and Academic Trajectory focuses on relevance, quality and timeliness:
a) Of the scientific and technological production considered more relevant by the applicant;
b) Of applied, or practice-based, research activities considered to be of greatest impact by the applicant;
c) Of the activities of extension and dissemination of knowledge, namely with regard to the promotion of culture and scientific practices considered by the applicant to be more relevant;
d) Of management activities regarding scientific, technological and innovation programs, or of the applicant’s experience in the observation and monitoring of the scientific, technological or of higher education system, in Portugal or abroad.
9.2. The following evaluation parameters are to be considered: AQ – Academic Qualifications; SP – Scientific Production; REMA – Research, Extension and Management Activities; ML – Motivation Letter; I – Interview. The final classification of the SATA is obtained by the following formula: SATA = 0,2AQ + 0,2SP + 0,15REMA + 0,15ML + 0,3I.
AQ stands for the applicant’s Academic Qualifications, which should include a PhD in Linguistic Studies. AQ = 4 marks
SP stands for the applicant’s Scientific Production = 4 marks
REMA stands for the applicant’s Research, Extension, and Management Activities = 3 marks. This parameter includes: (i) supervision / co-supervision of MA and PhD theses; (ii) participation in Research & Development projects; (iii) participation in activities of management and dissemination of knowledge, such as the organization of conferences, symposia and scientific cooperation activities.
ML stands for the applicant’s Motivation Letter, which should state the relevance of the applicant’s scientific record for the position under focus and for his/her personal career objectives = 3 marks
I stands for Interview, which is to be in Portuguese and English = 6 marks
9.3. The Interview (I) should last for 30 minutes and cover the following assessment parameters and respective weights: 0,3I = 0,15MOT + 0,15FEC:
MOT – Motivation for the functions to fulfil within the Project and within the applicant’s personal career objectives = 3 marks
FEC – Fluency and Ease of Communication = 3 marks
9.4. The final classification obtained from the calculation of all Evaluation Parameters is expressed in a numerical scale of 0 to 20 marks.
9.5. The classification of each applicant is obtained by the average of the classifications of each one of the elements of the panel. In the event of a tie, the final decision shall rest with the panel Chair.
10. Ranking of applicants: The ranking of the applicants must be based on the evaluation criteria presented in this application notice.
10.1. After applying all the evaluation criteria, the panel will devise a ranking list of successful applicants with their classification.
10.2. The final classification of the applicants is expressed in the numerical scale of 0 to 20 values, in accordance with the weighted average of all five SATA parameters.
11. Participation of interested parties and decision: The applicants will be notified of their final ranking by email with notification delivery receipt, so that the interested parties can come forth and require a preliminary hearing, according to article 121 and following of the Code of Administrative Procedure.
11.1. After the hearing of the interested parties, the panel examines the allegations offered and approves the final ranking list of successful applicants. Within 90 days, from the deadline for submission of applications, the final decision of the panel is to be produced.
11.2. The final decision of the panel is to be approved by the Rector of the Universidade do Minho, who also decides on whether or not to hire the applicant.
12. Publication of results: The list of admitted and excluded applicants, as well as the final ranking list of the successful applicants, are to be published on the University of Minho’s website, and the applicants are to be notified by email with notification delivery receipt.
13. The present notice is exclusively aimed at filling the position indicated; it may be terminated until the homologation of the final ranking list of applicants; and it expires with the occupation of the job on offer.
14. The present notice was approved by the selection panel at their meeting on September 25, 2018, according to the minutes of the meeting approved therein.
15. Non-discrimination and equal access policy: The University of Minho actively promotes a policy of non-discrimination and equal access, so that no candidate can be privileged, favoured, impaired or deprived of any right or exempted from any duty because of, namely, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family situation, economic situation, education, social origin or standing, genetic heritage, reduced working capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, territory of origin, language, religion, political or ideological beliefs and trade union membership.
15.1. So as to enforce section h) of article 9 of the Constitution of the Portuguese Republic, the Public Administration, as employer, actively promotes a policy of equal opportunities for men and women in accessing employment and professional advancement, scrupulously avoiding any form of discrimination.
16. The selection of the candidates to be hired will be conditional and their eventual labour contracts will depend on budget availability and funding feasibility, under the aforementioned legislation and the regulations established by the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT).
Professor Doctor Rui Vieira de Castro, Rector
Dear Rector of Universidade do Minho
I, name (…), birthdate (…), VAT no. (…), identification card no. (…),address (…), postal code (…), mobile phone no. (…), email address (…), academic qualifications (…), hereby request that you kindly accept my application for the international recruitment of one doctoral position in the scientific area of Linguistics, according to a notice published in the Diário da República, 2nd series, no. 183, of 21 September, with Ref. PTDC/LLT-LIN/29304/2017, for an uncertain term contract under the Labor Code and Decree-Law No. 57/2016 of 29 August, as amended by Law no. 57/2017, of 19 July.
I further declare that I agree to receive by email the communications and notifications resulting from the present application procedure.
Please find attached the following documents: xxx
(Place and date)
(Posted 13 March 2019)
The Institute of English Studies at the Faculty of Arts and Humanities of the Karl-Franzens-Universität, Graz, is seeking to appoint a
Professor (f/m) of English Literary and Cultural Studies
Deadline for applications: 27 March 2019
This position is pursuant to §98 of the University Act (UG): 40 hours per week; permanent employment according to the Austrian Law on Salaried Employment (AngG); expected starting date October 1st 2020.
The holder of the position will represent the field of English literary and cultural studies from the early modern period up to and including the 18th century in research and teaching, with a particular focus on Shakespearean drama. Teaching responsibilities concern the bachelor’s and master’s programmes in English and American studies, the English teacher training programme, and the doctoral programme. Research and teaching should focus on literary studies and philologically-oriented cultural studies. In addition, the holder of the position will seek points of contact with existing research collaborations at the institute and at the faculty. Applicants are expected to have a record of excellent research activities and teaching experience in the abovementioned fields. The candidate is expected to have a habilitation or equivalent qualification in English Literature, excellent academic qualification in research and teaching for the relevant subject, and a very good command of German. In addition, we expect gender mainstreaming competence.
Please submit your applications stating the reference number BV/19/98 ex 2018/19 by
March 27th 2019 at the latest. For information about the application procedures and other prerequisites, please visit jobs.uni-graz.at/en/BV/19/98
(posted 9 March 2019)